PDA

View Full Version : Feature wishlist...

Ziphoid
2009-02-16, 16:34
Well, the site is starting to take form and people have started to register, which is excellent. There are still a LOT of work to fix all the features we have in mind, but now it would be good to hear what you guys WANT to have. It's really no use to create functions that you won't use.

I can assure you that we've thought about a LOT of things, but feel free to ponder what you want to see on the site and we'll take it into consideration.

We have pushed a lot of hours into designing the backend of the whole system to be as flexible as possible, making it quite easy to add a bunch of features and connecting data back and forth both in the system and to and from other systems.

So, rub your brain a bit and come up with some cool (and useful) features and we'll look into adding them to the site...

Calador
2009-02-17, 14:12
I kinda know that the features I want are on the drawing board right now, but I will list them anyways :)

Voting system for tunes. Can be spiced with a chart show like SLAY. Could also just be used for a website top 10 list (with a monthly reset or something like that), or a combination of the two.

Request function. Ok, this is actually not a feature I want, it's more like a feature I am not a big fan of. I'd use it to force everyone to listen to paniq as often as possible, and then everyone will miss out on some tunes they didn't know they loved :)

Charts. Not just music charts, but demo charts aswell. I love charts, and I bet there are people here that know enough about the scene to be able to make regular charts (sounds like work for truck, hehe)

Brigane
2009-02-18, 19:37
Here are some of my ideas.. Take it or leave it :D

A Shoutbox (Tagwall) where people can put small useful text messages to each other. I guess some people may not like this idea, but there are still lots of people who dont know how to use mIRC, and that's why I think it may be a good idea.

A distinct Paypal logo on the site so people are able to support you with whatever they might give from there wallets ;)

A poll could be added to the frontsite (aswell as the forum) with let's say a new question every week for bringing out some small talk or discussions.

Music contests.. Not necessarily with picked out samples and sounds. Maybe where the staff for example is gonna chose a theme, that other artists could build something nice out of. Like a christmas theme :p

That's all I've got at this time.. peace out mates :cool:

PsychNerD
2009-02-18, 19:38
If I may add my 2¢ on the voting system... why having too much voting levels ?
Personnaly I would suggest :
- All tracks starts with a signed 0 score.
- 2 voting buttons : Thumbs Up(score++), Thumbs Down (score--)
- !likes and !loves from IRC could count as thumbs up also... (could add a !dislike but less cool to use it).
- limit 1 vote/(unique id)/track..

Ziphoid
2009-02-19, 12:17
Here are some of my ideas.. Take it or leave it :D

A Shoutbox (Tagwall) where people can put small useful text messages to each other. I guess some people may not like this idea, but there are still lots of people who dont know how to use mIRC, and that's why I think it may be a good idea.

This is a quite discussable feature, since there are both pros and cons with such a little box. *hmmm* We could make it possible to switch it off via the user control panel, of course (this one (http://scenesat.com/mysettings)). I think a poll of some sort is coming up...

A distinct Paypal logo on the site so people are able to support you with whatever they might give from there wallets ;)

A 'Make a donation' (http://scenesat.com/donate)-link is up in the left column.

A poll could be added to the frontsite (aswell as the forum) with let's say a new question every week for bringing out some small talk or discussions.

The front page will be updated with more info for sure.

Music contests.. Not necessarily with picked out samples and sounds. Maybe where the staff for example is gonna chose a theme, that other artists could build something nice out of. Like a christmas theme :p

This one is also a very good idea which we'll definitely will take into consideration.

Sir Garbagetruck
2009-02-19, 19:47
Well, demo charts: these are somewhat available somewhere that I suggest you avoid (:

But yes I think I can provide some of this after each party, and of course, the big one coming up at Breakpoint - the scene.org awards.

Which. Well. Go see my post about that. (It's in the EVENTS area, now. I just posted it. You should go there now. (: )

Byproduct
2009-02-21, 10:31
If I may add my 2¢ on the voting system... why having too much voting levels ?
Personnaly I would suggest :
- All tracks starts with a signed 0 score.
- 2 voting buttons : Thumbs Up(score++), Thumbs Down (score--)
- !likes and !loves from IRC could count as thumbs up also... (could add a !dislike but less cool to use it).
- limit 1 vote/(unique id)/track..

This sounds very good to me. (Plus maybe people could vote more than once over a long period of time, so that their absolute favourites would get two votes or so. :p )

Dr-Duke
2009-02-24, 22:47
Hm, it would come in handy if someone can see the ETA of the next track so that you can get a glimpse of when to vote for the current track that is playing in the queue. http://board.zwergenbinge.de/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

Ziphoid
2009-02-25, 00:57
Hm, it would come in handy if someone can see the ETA of the next track so that you can get a glimpse of when to vote for the current track that is playing in the queue. http://board.zwergenbinge.de/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

Something like that? ;)

Dr-Duke
2009-02-26, 23:51
Hey cool, yes. :)

What do you think of by setting it in by design like:
"Next track at *time*: - Track" ?

or

"Next up at *time*: - Track"

Hm, just a thought.

Ziphoid
2009-02-27, 18:34
The way the current design is done right now (a column for the 'Previous/Now/Next'-tracks), the result of your requested change would make a mess and we don't want that, so we'll keep it this way for now.

powertrace
2009-02-27, 19:54
I was thinking of a suggesting but then I trashed it, I thought "Why do I need to know that and Is this actually nessesery?" LOL

Anyway this is what I was thinking of--> When you have search for an act name or track you can see when a track by that act was last played or if it is in the que and when? :cool:

Ziphoid
2009-02-27, 20:08
All that will be available on the track info page. You'll see when and in which shows a track was played and a bunch of other info. Also, when the requester goes active, the queue will become more important, since now SAM only keeps the queue to two tracks.

Sir Garbagetruck
2009-02-27, 20:58
darn it there really just isn't a good way to do that...

Previous: Soliton - My Prophecy Is A Synth (SceneSat Exclusive)
Playing now: Curious inversions - Predators
Next up: Hazel - The Connection at 20:56:34

Problem 1: 20:56:34 was ... an hour ago. Well ok 58 minutes. Course, for folks in Moscow, it was an hour 58 minutes... and for those in C attle, it's in 8 hours 2 minutes. Or something.

Problem 2: Even posting the timezone isn't helpful, as I have to have a clock to compare to - in order to see this.

So I thought "oh, just post the amount of time til then" - COMPLETELY forgetting that, you know, time is fluid and moves and...
So there COULD be a little counter, but that would just suck up cpu and be silly.

I dunno. Well Ziphoid said he needed to timezone fix it, and I'll just get used to needing a clock.

How about if the color would change or summat when you have a minute left to vote?

How about if I let this be (: I have a demo to code (:

Ziphoid
2009-02-27, 21:51
darn it there really just isn't a good way to do that...

Problem 1: 20:56:34 was ... an hour ago. Well ok 58 minutes. Course, for folks in Moscow, it was an hour 58 minutes... and for those in C attle, it's in 8 hours 2 minutes. Or something.

Problem 2: Even posting the timezone isn't helpful, as I have to have a clock to compare to - in order to see this.

So I thought "oh, just post the amount of time til then" - COMPLETELY forgetting that, you know, time is fluid and moves and...
So there COULD be a little counter, but that would just suck up cpu and be silly.

I dunno. Well Ziphoid said he needed to timezone fix it, and I'll just get used to needing a clock.

How about if the color would change or summat when you have a minute left to vote?

How about if I let this be (: I have a demo to code (:

Yeah, my bad here. A counter IS cpu hogging, so I won't do that. Just tried out a few and it makes a mess, so I better leave that alone. I'll see what can be done about this, since I really can't do a timezone checkup from PHP in a proper way, unless you're logged in. I'll remove the function for now. Not really a high prio thingy...

Ziphoid
2009-02-28, 00:58
There. Now the ETA is based on your personal timezone settings in the forum. If you're not logged in, then CET will be shown, since that's the location of the server. Also, you have a current time showing in the upper right corner, which will update with each AJAX call, so Truck, you have really no excuses now. ;)

PsychNerD
2009-02-28, 03:23
Upcoming show time could be timezone aware too :)

Ziphoid
2009-02-28, 11:33
Upcoming show time could be timezone aware too :)
Well, there you go... :P

Ziphoid
2009-02-28, 11:46
...and now the show archive (including playlists & cuefiles) is also timezone aware. However, I won't rename the shows and ID3-tags, of course. ;)

PsychNerD
2009-02-28, 19:03
Awesome! Thanks!

Fee1
2009-03-02, 22:13
It all looks very slick, the only thing I can add is that when you click a song that's on the "Previous, Playing now", and "Next up" queues, it'd be cool to see the ratings for it. It's not a site breaker, but I think it'd be kind of neat. I really like how you can click the name of the remixer (or artist) and see all of their songs that are on Scenesat, that's pretty cool.

fnordpojk
2009-03-02, 22:36
It all looks very slick, the only thing I can add is that when you click a song that's on the "Previous, Playing now", and "Next up" queues, it'd be cool to see the ratings for it. It's not a site breaker, but I think it'd be kind of neat.
That and much more is coming (relatively) soon. ;)

Fee1
2009-03-03, 03:09
I'm not expecting this to happen; But a widget for Opera or Firefox that would let you vote songs without going to scenesat.com would be awesome.

Dr-Duke
2009-06-21, 14:32
Hmm...I collected some ideas/questions during the last days. Interesting or crap, I dunno. :o

1. Automatically instant refresh in "Average Rating" in "Track Information" when a vote comes in.

2. Track number (direct Link) in the adress bar. Intention and useful? Or would it look "cooler" to the site if the direct link is hidden?

3. Is it a good feature to be able vote on tracks that are not currently played?

4. What about an automatically switching of the "Track Information" site? Like the
tracks do on "Now playing". Maybe with a button to freeze.

So, eh, that's it for the moment.

Now John kills me... :D

Ziphoid
2009-06-21, 20:08
Hmm...I collected some ideas/questions during the last days. Interesting or crap, I dunno. :o

1. Automatically instant refresh in "Average Rating" in "Track Information" when a vote comes in.

2. Track number (direct Link) in the adress bar. Intention and useful? Or would it look "cooler" to the site if the direct link is hidden?

3. Is it a good feature to be able vote on tracks that are not currently played?

4. What about an automatically switching of the "Track Information" site? Like the
tracks do on "Now playing". Maybe with a button to freeze.

So, eh, that's it for the moment.

Now John kills me... :D

Well, I won't kill you, Sven, although I must put a thumbs down on most of these ideas.

1. This could be interesting if this was about a stock rate or something like that. When the average amount of votes a track gets each day is less than one per mille, it really is not relevant but would only cause WAY too much unnecessary code.

2. No, it would only cause a mess if it was hidden, since then it would have to be done with a fram of sorts and that is not cool at all. The 'cool' thing is to be able to pinpoint a direct URL to a certain track as well as allow search engines to find their way through the site. In the long run you'll be able to find a direct link to our site if you google for an artist or a track, which is a win for all parties.

3. Well, that's why there are two possible voting systems. See it like this: What if you would only be able to vote for a track on RKO when it was played on SLAY Radio or SceneSat? Would it be easy to vote for it then? Not really, huh? Almost all the tracks on SSR are possible to download, which makes it easy for you to be able to rate and vote for them if you're listening at home or whenever. So, in conclusion - Yes, I think it is a good feature.

4. This would cause more mess as well, since perhaps you're reading about a track, writing a comment or similar and then all of a sudden, it'd just be replacded with something else? Not really user friendly, imho. We can't make all decisions for the viewers, but our decision is to let an info page be left for as long as the user stays there. If you wanna see the info about the next track or whatever, it's just to click that link instead, which would save us an immense amount of chaos when it comes to code complexity.

I'm sure you'll be a bit disappointed about these answers, but I did warn you. ;)

// Ziph

Fee1
2009-06-23, 03:07
Is there anyway to keep posts and threads from the newsfeed forums from showing up under "New posts"? "New posts" is the first thing I go to on VBulletin forums, but it's so cluttered on these forums with Sputnik fetching so many newsfeeds!

Ziphoid
2009-06-23, 11:49
Is there anyway to keep posts and threads from the newsfeed forums from showing up under "New posts"? "New posts" is the first thing I go to on VBulletin forums, but it's so cluttered on these forums with Sputnik fetching so many newsfeeds!
They should be excluded now. Please let me know how this works. :)

Fee1
2009-06-23, 17:14
It works wonderfully, thank you!

Fee1
2009-07-04, 21:12
I'm double posting.

So, you know how in the WIP forum, people post their MP3s, then we have to download them, and load them up in our media players? That's not a lot of work, but I'm lazy, and don't like cluttering my desktop! Would it be possible to add a media tag for posting MP3s, so we could play them on the forum, and in our browsers?

Dr-Duke
2009-07-04, 22:05
Besides anything that can and will be done from SceneSat, I recommend you to install the quicktime player. A single middle-mouse-button press allows you to open mp3s and other media types to open in a new browser tab. Just a hint. http://board.zwergenbinge.de/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/

Amok
2009-07-10, 09:03
Just to "OPEN" the link and not to "SAVE" works pretty well too...

Dr-Duke
2009-08-10, 21:49
Hm, btw since when exists the quickmenu feature on the mainpage under "Member" -->"Edit your settings"? New or have I just overseen it all the time? Uh, anyhow...

Would it be nice/usefull if you see the title of the selected item?
So you would for example see it like "Queue | Track History | Forum" instead of "1 | 2 | 3"? :)

Byproduct
2009-08-10, 23:23
If a track is freely available on the Interwebs, but not on SceneSat, the track info page could contain a link to its external download page. (I've found quite many tracks that I liked but couldn't dl here, but found them in Remix64 or Kahvi for example).

Ziphoid
2009-08-11, 00:31
Hm, btw since when exists the quickmenu feature on the mainpage under "Member" -->"Edit your settings"? New or have I just overseen it all the time? Uh, anyhow...
That has been there for quite some time now, actually. I think I even told about that in a news item, or at least during some shows.

Would it be nice/usefull if you see the title of the selected item?
So you would for example see it like "Queue | Track History | Forum" instead of "1 | 2 | 3"? :)
I've already built that function but just not published it yet, since it will cause quite a bunch of weird things to happen if people are using too long titles. It is on the todo list, already. The numbers are there to represent the shortcut key (Ctrl+Shift+number in Firefox, for instance).

If a track is freely available on the Interwebs, but not on SceneSat, the track info page could contain a link to its external download page. (I've found quite many tracks that I liked but couldn't dl here, but found them in Remix64 or Kahvi for example).
That's why we so far have added the binoculars->Google custom search-function. We have a bunch of extra data which will be displayed on the track info pages but atm, the admin GUI is not finished so it's quite hard to add it all. It surely is a big thing on the list.

TbbW
2009-09-07, 19:51
I would like to have a button on the website where i could zap the dj when he's playing sleepy tunes :P

A regular issue stungun mounted to the chair would be effichent :)
But it would be disabled when the dj splays unzy tunes.

zabadab
2009-11-16, 23:33
I would like to hear less jingles, or at least less jingles that overlap with the music. I don't have dementia, so I don't need to be told I'm listening to Scenesat every five or so minutes.

You guys are not a commercial radio station where the evil record companies force you to overlap your jingles to discourage recording, so don't do it.

Sometimes when a song has a really nice ending, it can really get ruined by an annoying "Scenesat Radio....because we love the scene". It's great that you guys do. I love the scene too, but I sure don't love a ruined song. :(

Ziphoid
2009-11-17, 01:10
I would like to hear less jingles, or at least less jingles that overlap with the music. I don't have dementia, so I don't need to be told I'm listening to Scenesat every five or so minutes.

You guys are not a commercial radio station where the evil record companies force you to overlap your jingles to discourage recording, so don't do it.

Sometimes when a song has a really nice ending, it can really get ruined by an annoying "Scenesat Radio....because we love the scene". It's great that you guys do. I love the scene too, but I sure don't love a ruined song. :(

I actually kind of agree with you here, although it's not THAT often. Lately, we've had the overlays played in-between every 8 tracks, which I've now upped to back to every 15th track again. We will however probably lower this number at a later stage, but not until we've created more of these overliners.

Also, on a sidenote - No, we are NOT a commercial radio station, but even so it's not free to run it since we still need licenses to be able to play what we want and to run the serverside software and such. So, yes, we DO treat SceneSat as a sort of a commercial station on the backend to be able to run this as smoothly as possible even though we are not planning to charge the listeners for it.

In conclusion, since we are basically paying for running the station and we're very proud of it all (not only for paying, but for the whole of the system... ;)), we of course would like to express that it IS our station and how proud we are of it. One way of expressing that is by adding these overliners, which we feel doesn't kill that much of the tracks since they are only between 4-10 seconds. Also, if we were trying destroy the tracks for you, then we wouldn't provide a 320kbps now, would we? ;)

Anyhoo, comment noted and action taken. I hope you still feel ok with us and the overliners.

// Ziph

steph19
2010-03-09, 03:04
Is it possible to have the Downloadable Track list set up with letter headings by artist like the Rotational list? It would make it a little bit easier to navigate. Of course, I suppose it's just as easy to into the Rotational and see if the track you want is downloadable... so maybe this is a dumb idea. :o

Ziphoid
2010-03-09, 10:44
Is it possible to have the Downloadable Track list set up with letter headings by artist like the Rotational list? It would make it a little bit easier to navigate. Of course, I suppose it's just as easy to into the Rotational and see if the track you want is downloadable... so maybe this is a dumb idea. :o
Not a dumb idea at all and it's already in our minds to fix, since the actual page 'Downloadable tracks' will be completely removed in favor of an extended version of the track listing page, which will be revamped a little to simplify the filtering and sorting.

Arv
2010-04-09, 10:08
I looked at the rotation list and would it be an idea to have the nr of stars in this list as well as all other info?

Ziphoid
2010-04-09, 21:51
I looked at the rotation list and would it be an idea to have the nr of stars in this list as well as all other info?

Something like this (http://scenesat.com/tracks)?

Arv
2010-04-09, 23:12
Nice. That was quick. :) *thumbs up*

steph19
2010-06-19, 04:19
I love putting stuff in my little music cart, but are there going to be alternate ways of sorting? It's kind of odd that the songs are sorted alphabetically by title in the cart, while the rotational is alphabetical by artist.

Ziphoid
2010-06-19, 11:35
I love putting stuff in my little music cart, but are there going to be alternate ways of sorting? It's kind of odd that the songs are sorted alphabetically by title in the cart, while the rotational is alphabetical by artist.
The cart will be updated with a bunch of features soon. I'm tweaking a lot of stuff in the backend at the moment but you'll soon see more nice features added. :)

EDIT: Well, now the tracks are sorted by artist - title at least. ;)

steph19
2010-06-20, 00:01
Thanks! :) That will make it a lot easier to find songs!

TbbW
2010-07-12, 01:06
Favorite list ?
If i like a song in paticular it would be nice to save the song name to my profile :)

PsychNerD
2010-07-12, 02:49
@TbbW: Wy not using the cart for this purpose?

TbbW
2010-07-12, 04:01
@TbbW: Wy not using the cart for this purpose?

And where may this cart be?
It must be right under my nose since i cant spot it anywhere on scenesat :P

PsychNerD
2010-07-12, 04:10
And where may this cart be?
It must be right under my nose since i cant spot it anywhere on scenesat :P

- Add tracks using the (+) signs next to the track names or acts (if you don't see them, head to your profile preference pages from the main scenesat menu, option : Show the quicklinks for the cart system?)
- There is a Cart link right next to the left of the search box (leading you to http://scenesat.com/cart )

TbbW
2010-07-12, 09:14
Oh there they where :)
Needed to activate it in my profile.

Thanks PsychNerD \o/

JaK
2010-11-16, 16:06
+ The "my all-time ranked" tracks paginated list,...ordered by default by score.

produces two instantly desirable effects on users :
1) encourages the track rating and participation.
2) Makes more easy and enjoyable making !requests.

Mordi
2012-03-30, 23:03
I would have liked to see the "Queue" button appear on my favorites list (cart). Maybe this is intentional, so that anyone won't be able to queue all their favorites in the same order all the time?