PDA

View Full Version : What books are you currently reading?

Fee1
2009-04-27, 21:27
I've dove headfirst into Zen Buddhism, and have been plowing through reference material on the subject. I've gone through Zen Training by Katsuki Sekida, Awakening to Zen by Roshi Philp Kapleau, Everyday Zen by Charolette Beck, and Zen Mind Beginners Mind by Shunryu Suzuki all within the past three weeks. The primary reason for this being one of my friends, and more importantly the one who killed most of my free time moved away recently. So I've been putzing around and doing a lot of reading.

I also have Zen and the Art of Mororcycle Maintenance on my MP3 player. It's an interesting book.

How 'bout you, what are you reading?

Ziphoid
2009-04-28, 01:25
Sadly enough, I get to read way too few books these days, and if I do, they're only boring technical stuff like coder things and stuff... When I DO read, I go in different directions depending on situation... I used to read the Lord of the Rings trilogy once every year or second year, but it was a while ago now. Other than that, it's always interesting to see how many clichées they can cram into a regular crime novel or something like that... Love P.D James' books, for instance...

...and I'm childishly fond of the Discworld series as well as Harry Potter... :)

Fee1
2009-04-28, 02:48
I read Lord of the Rings once a year, too. I start into it every December 1st, and finish it before the year's over. It's a good ritual.

Serenity
2009-04-28, 14:53
I love to read. Sadly I don’t have so much time to do that, as I want to, other than anthropology books I have to read. But, when I do get the chance, James Patterson is a favorite author and I’m waiting for the 3’rd book in James Clemens’ fantasy series “Godslayer”. I don’t think you can get too many books. :)

fnordpojk
2009-04-28, 18:56
Oh, wow. I go through a book or four a week. I can't sleep without first reading for 30 minutes or so. I cover all genres, but I'm partial to science fiction (especially steampunk and space exploration), fantasy (The Discworld series in particular, and David Eddings' stories are nice if cliché), detective novels (I really like Dorothy Sayers and Agatha Christie, and ofcourse the odd Arthur Conan Doyle :)) and historic novels. Oh, and ofcourse I read a lot of technical literature also (yay, O'Reilly!).

This week I've been working and travelling too much to spend much time on reading, but what I've read has been Robert Heinlein's "Time enough for love (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Enough_for_Love)".

hrist
2009-04-28, 19:45
Currently I'm reading "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", I'm done with the first book now reading "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe". Before that I've read Lord of the Rings.

After I'm done with the Hitchhiker books I'll read something technical: "Programming Erlang" which I forgot at my parents place -.-

I prefer fantasy and science fiction, but am not reluctant to other genres.

So long...
Hannes

maverickbna
2009-06-15, 05:22
I need to pick up some more books too - the last fiction book I was reading was The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski, the book that inspired the award-winning computer game The Witcher by Polish developer CDPROJEKT RED.

Incredible story, and great how it weaves morality into typically one-dimensional "bad monsters".

Check it out !

http://www.amazon.com/Last-Wish-Andrzej-Sapkowski/dp/0316029181/ref=bxgy_cc_b_img_b