Welcome to SceneSat - the place that connects the many musical aspects of the demoscene to the rest of the world.

Current time: 2024-03-28 17:55
30 listeners from 13 countries.
|
Andy Lock - Lemon Lady (DJ Aquaz rmx) [05:59] at 17:58:16
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default So, what's your weapon of choice?

Which tools are you using when creating music? Tracker? Sequencer? Pure hardware? Do tell!

Myself, I'm a bit ambivalent what to use, actually, since I really haven't made that much music for the last ten years or so, but my last two tracks (Combat Crazy/remix.kwed.org and Comic Bakery/Remix64 vol. 3 - Syntax Era) were created with Cubase on the PC and Logic Pro on the Mac respectively. Now I'm twiddling around a bit with Renoise so we'll see where that ends.

What do you guys'n'gals use?

Milkytracker, Renoise.

I guess my first program was Deluxe music construction set by EA on Amiga in 1986 or 87 (before Sonix or Soundtracker), now that was a weird one, it even tried to sing with Amiga speech iirc

I've been Buzz Modular Studio user since it's early days in late 90's. I don't think I've come to the end of my journey yet. Especially since Jeskola decided to revitalize the code. VST support is much better thank to Polac. I also use Audacity for some mastering. Buzz is not great at this in my opinion. I guess the reason I love buzz so much is it's the best of both the tracking world and sequencing worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaphoid View Post
    I've been Buzz Modular Studio user since it's early days in late 90's. I don't think I've come to the end of my journey yet. Especially since Jeskola decided to revitalize the code. VST support is much better thank to Polac. I also use Audacity for some mastering. Buzz is not great at this in my opinion. I guess the reason I love buzz so much is it's the best of both the tracking world and sequencing worlds.
    Huh, I wonder if the reason the Jeskola guys brought it back after YEARS of prompting was that some folks such as Paniq have basically redone it (:

http://code.google.com/p/aldrin-sequ...ki/Screenshots

(I do believe this is what Paniq is using, mostly, for composing now. I could be wrong, as, well, I'm not Paniq. But you will notice that the actual screenshots have 'paniq' in the filenames (:

Paniq _is_ using/developing on this.)

Im using MadTracker now for more than a year. Its a bit like the good old StarTrekker on Amiga. Of course the whole VST support and the 64 tracks are makeing it a lot more comfortable but the feeling is still the same. At least for me I think that Renoise is much better but until now i was too lazy to get into Renoise. But one day i will switch for sure...

I tried out some sequencers like FL, Cubase, Reason and Ableton but i really have no clue how to get any sound out of it. Its just too confusing to me. Maybe im not clever enough for sequencers...

For solo projects I am using a pumped up Amiga 1200 (68040 32 mb) with octamed pro as a sequencer to steer all the midi stuff,mastering is done thru a spirit soundcraft mixer on a old 98 pc with a maxi studio isis soundcard (loving the sound of it)......I know old fashioned but loving it.....

When working with Erwin (Tron) and my bro (A0D) its mostly Reason......

Quote Originally Posted by Amok View Post
    Im using MadTracker now for more than a year. Its a bit like the good old StarTrekker on Amiga. Of course the whole VST support and the 64 tracks are makeing it a lot more comfortable but the feeling is still the same. At least for me I think that Renoise is much better but until now i was too lazy to get into Renoise. But one day i will switch for sure...

I tried out some sequencers like FL, Cubase, Reason and Ableton but i really have no clue how to get any sound out of it. Its just too confusing to me. Maybe im not clever enough for sequencers...
    I tried both FL and Reason and was not impressed with the interface. I can't stand step sequencers and Piano rolls. Gives me a headache everytime! I still love the all inclusiveness of having the tracker screen in front of me with all that power at your fingertips. Renoise looks promising if I could ever stop drinking Jeskola.

I mostly uses Reason, recently I have started working with Ableton Live and reason rewired.

I started on C64 with track and pattern based music editors, among the others; DMC 2.x to 5.x by Brian and later JCH 3.x by Jens Ch. Huus (20.G4 new player). Then I switched directly from C64 to PC and went to Fast Tracker (on a Gravis Ultrasound snd card), for very long time it was my only tool to make music, 4 years at least. When processors became powerful enough to make possible to implement DSP algorithms I directed my interest to VST technology. I was using shortly Fruity Loops, Renoise, Mad Tracker, and finally I've stuck with a Cubase, since version 2 SX + few hardware synths, but their role is rather supportive than center of my DAW.

Recently I'm experimenting on Vice c64 emulator with SidFactory editor made by Laxity/Vibrants

I go with FL Studio. To me it seems that all the newer sequencers (eg. FL Studio, Logic, Cubase, Reason etc etc.), do basically the same things, and it's just a matter of personal preference which user interface you happen to like the most.

Composing with trackers (FT2, Buzz) felt somehow a bit more creative, but for me FL studio is much more convenient to use and the sound quality I get out of it is much better, so it's an obvious choice. But even though I've left trackers behind, I can still sit 5-8 hours in front of the computer while composing, and then suddenly wonder where all the time went.
    Last edited by Byproduct; 2009-02-11 at 08:14.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast