Welcome to SceneSat - the place that connects the many musical aspects of the demoscene to the rest of the world.

Nope, I don't feel like hearing this at all right now...
*hmmm* Well, I don't have to switch off, but I'm not raising the volume either...
Yes, this track fits my mood perfectly!
Current time: 2024-03-28 16:59
30 listeners from 11 countries.
willbe - To the edge of binary [07:31]
|
Firestorm - Betrayal [03:34] at 16:59:57
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sound All your bass are belong to us!

Yeah, that's right. Byproduct has written an article that will help you tweak your bass to punch everyone in their stomach...

Go right here to read it!
    A SceneSat Radio DJ and staffer | AmigaRemix and Remix64 head honcho

Very useful guide. Thanks alot

Sound

oh good, I was worried someone wanted the live BASS recordings put up.

It's fun to perform in BASS but the recordings leave a lot to be desired, as does 3 days max of practice together before performing (:

Revised section 4 a little; thanks to a friendly anonymous comment, there's no need to mess with the formula controller anymore.

Thumbs up

Thanks for a great article byproduct!

More!

Pretty informative stuff! I'm not into music production, but I'm sure stowing some of the info in this tutorial in my brain will help me eventually, seeing as I'm an amateur sound designer (hoping to be professional someday!).

Sound

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Garbagetruck View Post
    oh good, I was worried someone wanted the live BASS recordings put up.

It's fun to perform in BASS but the recordings leave a lot to be desired, as does 3 days max of practice together before performing (:
    Does this mean I shouldn't ask for a copy for myself?

A friend used this guide, and reported getting a disturbing amount of crackling noise when sidechaining with FL Studio compressor plugins. According to him, it persisted even in the rendered track. If you have the same problem with the compressors you use, you can get around it by instead linking the peak controller to the out gain (=volume) knob of any other plugin. Or, if you don't want it to affect the whole hz range, by linking to any one band of any EQ plugin (which you can then tweak to your liking).

You will definitely cause crackling with the ultra-fast settings described on the tutorial. Ease the attack & decay up a bit on both the peak controller and the compressor and it should vanish. I actually use this sidechaining method with fairly long decay settings, which will clean up your sound as the signal sent by the Peak Controller wont follow the exact waveform of the kick sample, but will instead form a nice smooth descending "ramp". (protip: If you overdo the decay on purpose and sidechain pretty much every instrument, you'll achieve a nice "Benny Benassi" -style pumping effect!)

However, there's quite a major mistake in the sidechaining tutorial: The tutorial implies that the multiband compressor should be placed on the same FX track as the peak controller! This is by no means a desired effect since the kick will sidechain itself. You should clarify that the compressor is supposed to be inserted on the bassline track, or whatever instrument track you wish to sidechain compress with the kick. I'm sure this is what people have been doing but if someone who doesn't really grasp the concept follows the tutorial to the word they might be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by glxblt View Post

Thanks for pointing out the mistakes! The compressor being in the wrong effect channel is a silly goof coming from revising (removing needless stuff from) an above section in the article. Getting that fixed asap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast