Welcome to SceneSat - the place that connects the many musical aspects of the demoscene to the rest of the world.

Nope, I don't feel like hearing this at all right now...
*hmmm* Well, I don't have to switch off, but I'm not raising the volume either...
Yes, this track fits my mood perfectly!
Current time: 2024-03-28 15:51
28 listeners from 12 countries.
Amygdala - Oxylerator II [07:44]
|
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What does your creative process look like?

I'm not a musician, but an avid listener and I'm quite curious about how things are made.
    Is it a piece of a tune, or a beat, or just some notes that triggers your creativity, or something else?

Default the trigger

For me, the trigger is a sound, or 4 notes, or i heard another tune, and got some kind of feeling. When i am making the tune, i go for the one feeling that i have in mind, try to express it.

But its different.. sometimes i just make a funky bass, and add stuff to it - and something grows from there.
    ..Ride the SIDwave!!
    http://www.janharries.com

Hey Jan Harries!

You seem to live in the future. *S* Everything ok with time zone settings?
    Last edited by Dr-Duke; 2009-06-18 at 23:07.

Default time setting

all ok here, must be the scenesat server that is borked ?
    ..Ride the SIDwave!!

Btw your video "rambones - integration (preview)" is nice ^^

Duke, it's nothing wrong with the sites settings, so it must be on your end, and besides, this is NOT the thread for such discussions, since it has nothing to do with a creative process, right?

So, to get back on track: from my perspective, it's been quite long since I made any music, apart from Broken Bakery last year, but most often I can go and hum on a melody or harmony for quite some time and then the process is quite quick. It varies, of course, but that's the most usual way. Most of my tracks have been done in just a few hours. Although, Broken Bakery took QUITE some time due to various reasons...
    A SceneSat Radio DJ and staffer | AmigaRemix and Remix64 head honcho

Thanks, John, for getting the thread back on track.

Anyone else? Or is it the creative process pretty much the same for you as John and Jan described?
    Last edited by Serenity; 2009-06-22 at 13:56.

Default Making music

Making music is like painting.

You draw a few outlines, organize them in some kinda system, and then slowly add more and more details, until it reaches a complexity that sounds like a well organized harmony of sounds.

Some tunes (paintings) are simple, some are complex.. Some you are more motivated to work on, so they get better than the rest, and some are just a waste of time, because the idea or inspiration was sucky from the start.
    ..Ride the SIDwave!!

I'm less audible and more visual, but anyway...

My creative process works like this:

There's a series of waterfalls and pools that I'm continually kayaking through. I'll spend quite a bit of time in one pool, then suddenly whoosh, over the edge with another waterfall and then

Luckily all the pools are connected and there is no up.

Unfortunately there are rocks and occasionally I hit my head.

This description, of course, makes perfect sense to me.

Also there seems to be a lot of green. Which is odd because I'm not sure where the actual 'land' part is, though you can see it.

You know I should try to draw that somehow in a demo...

It sounds like a fascinating creative process, Sir Garbagetruck! I hope your head recovers quickly from the contact with rocks. Waiting for the demo with great interest!

There is also a bunch of people on this site with photo as a major interest. What does your creative process look like?
    Having nature photo as my “target” I usually get my inspiration by the nature I am in. So my creative process can be just sitting with a cup of tea outside and looking, or being inspired by the light outside, or when I have the fortune to be up in the mountains – just se pictures every were and trying to capture everything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast